All the librarians of Calvert Library welcome you. We are here to assist you.
- Your card is free. An out of state library card is $20.00 per year.
- An applicant may visit the library or apply online to receive a library card. A parent or legal guardian signs for an applicant under the age of 16.
- Verification of current address is needed to receive a library card or to activate an online application.
- Please notify the library of name, address, e-mail or telephone number change.
- Your library card allows you to borrow materials and to use the computers.You are responsible for all materials borrowed.
- Your card may be used at any public library in the state of Maryland. Your Calvert card entitles you to access databases provided by Calvert Library.
- The responsibility for the use of library materials by children and adolescents rests with their parents or legal guardians.
- You may check your account online clicking on My Account. Enter your library card and pin to see items checked out, fines owed and items you have requested. Contact the library if you have questions regarding your PIN.
Renewals and Requests
- You may renew or request most materials online or call or visit your local branch with your library card.
- Reserves will be held for 7 days from the date of notification. A courtesy reminder will be sent by email or phone if materials are not picked up after 5 days.
- To request items from outside Calvert, Charles, or St. Mary’s Counties, click on Get Books From Other Libraries.
- Renewing an overdue item does not resolve any fine charges that have accrued.
- Four renewals are allowed if the item is not on hold and the customer record is in good standing.
- A record in good standing has less than $25.00 in accumulated charges.
- 50 items may be placed on hold at one time.
Material Loan Chart
|Material||Loan Period||Overdue Fee|
|Books (except Book Express) Music CDs, PlayAways, Books on CD and Kits||21 days||25¢/day; $10 max|
|Book Express||7 days||50¢/day; $10 max|
|Video Games (limit 6), DVDs, Blu-rays||7 days||$1/day; $10 max|
|DVD Express and Blu-ray Express||3 days||$2/day; $10 max|
|Children’s picture books, eBooks, eAudio. Downloadable magazines and streaming/downloadable music, TV, and movies||Varies||No fine!|
- Most items may be returned to any Maryland public library. Please note: Calvert materials returned to Maryland branches outside of Calvert, Charles, or St. Mary’s will remain on your account until received by the Calvert Library System.
- Charges for lost or damaged items will be as indicated in the database.
- Each time an item is borrowed or renewed the maximum fine rule applies.
- Book Express titles may not be placed on hold or renewed.
- The library is not responsible for any damage to your equipment.
- Up to 75 items may be checked out on one card at one time. Some item limits apply.
- Laptops are available for checkout in the library. Refer to laptop agreement for details.
Overdue Notification/Unique Management Services
Courtesy notification will be sent by email 3 days before an item is due. Notices are sent for overdue items: by e-mail at 7 days, 21 days and 45 days or by phone at 21 days and by mail at 45 days. If you would like to change to e-mail notification, please ask a librarian. If you return the item, you are responsible to pay the fines, not the cost of the item. If the item remains overdue, at 60 days your account is submitted to Unique Management, a materials recovery service, and an additional $10.00 service fee is added to your account. If the items are not returned and the account is not paid in full, Unique Management may turn your account over to a credit-reporting agency. After an account totals $25.00 or more in overdue fines or added charges, one notice is sent.
Notifications are sent as a courtesy. The library is not responsible if notification is not received.
You are responsible for keeping your contact information current.
Calvert County services are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
All library records are confidential by state law.