Volunteer @ Calvert Library
Purpose: Help Calvert Library customers engage with Smithsonian Water/Ways exhibit
Location: Calvert Library Prince Frederick
Hours: Vary – daytime, some evenings and Saturdays.
Responsibilities may include:
- Greet the customer as they approach the exhibit. Don’t force someone to go through the exhibit if they are not interested, but offer the opportunity to passing customers.
- Ask the customer a few opening questions: are they familiar with the exhibit? Where did they hear about it? Do they have any thoughts on what they know so far about the content?
- Walk with and guide them through the exhibit. Ask questions and offer prompts to help them relate to the content. You don’t have to be an expert on the exhibit as long as you are familiar with the flow and main points.
- If you feel unprepared to answer a customer’s question, don’t be afraid to say you don’t know. You can respond by saying, “I’m not sure about that,” and proceed by telling them what information you do know on the topic, or look at the content in the exhibit together to work to answer their question.
- Be prepared to answer questions about what is depicted in the pictures throughout the exhibit, as well as questions about our community in Calvert County/Southern Maryland.
- At the end of the tour, let the customer know there are some surveys they can fill out with the chance to win a couple of prizes.
- Age 16 or older
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and work independently
- Interest in the subject matter
Responsible to: Docent Coordinator
Ready to Volunteer?
Just complete and bring in to Calvert Library Prince Frederick:
Complete the training detailed in the Docent Training Document